Towards the end of last summer, on a day much too hot, I decided to move a well established hydrangea from one end of the yard to the other. When I started it seemed like an easy enough task that I could complete in about an hour…
I dug my new hole first. That was definitely easy. Then I pruned back the hydrangea, being careful to keep each and every shoot possible to make a cutting to root a new bush. I have 18 to 25 tiny hydrangeas. Next, I began to dig up the hydrangea. Oh boy! It was starting to get hot out and this hydrangea had to be laughing at me. By this point the root ball, I’d rather call it a snarl or snag, was difficult to determine its size and whereabouts and add to that I was digging on a slope.
Ok, now after many breaks for myself and for my children I finally chopped through what I had decided was a very unnecessary portion of the root to free it from the ground and get it planted into its new home. By this time I am exhausted and when the hydrangea mocks me again by not fitting into its new hole I break off another piece of root.
If you would like information on hydrangea propagation check out www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com. I did not use rooting hormone or tent with anything.
When my husband got home from work, immediately after I finished this project mind you, he was certain beyond a doubt that I had killed the hydrangea..
Every one of those nursery pots has a live hydrangea.
I can use them in our landscape or sell them later on!
Who’s laughing now…